Friday 24 July 2015

Shadow of Deception by Sophia L Johnson



Remember who we are and what we're fighting for.

This book wasn't even on my radar until Benjaminoftomes did a video about it on youtube. The reason it caught my eye was because the author is actually donating all the royalties from the first year of sales to the Covenant House charity. Covenant House is dedicated to helping homeless youth across America and I thought that it was just an amazing thing that she is doing. The book only costs $3.06 on Amazon and you are getting a good book out of it so I would urge everyone to check it out.

Right let's move on to the book now. To be honest I kinda felt like I was reading two different books here. The first say 60% was a little hit and miss for me but then the last 40% was simply amazing. I loved the futuristic world that Shadow of Deception was set in and I loved a lot of the futuristic technology. I found the relationship and story line between Kazumi and Alex to be rather odd. When he was there the relationship was rather negative yet when he wasn't there it was made out that their relationship was so much more than it actually was. Kazumi herself was also very hard to like or identify with until you got to about 60% of the way in. Once we get to what I call the "after" part with Kazumi she was just kick ass and I loved everything about her.

The rest of the cast of characters were a little forgettable with the exception of Linda, Marko, Celine and of course Finn. Finn made a pretty good leading male I think. I can't really say that there were too many moments where he frustrated me and he was an amazing leader. I kept imagining Liam as Victor Zsasz from Gotham and was waiting for him to have a complete psychopath moment in the style of Victor Zsasz but sadly it never came. I would love to know more about Marko and i'm assuming he will feature heavily in the next book. I liked the relationship between Finn and Kazumi unlike a lot of other stories their relationship was believable and not all lovey dovey.

Sophia L Johnson can write action like you wouldn't believe. That last 40% or so of the book felt like a 5 star read definitely. It was just a shame that it was let down quite a bit by the first 60% which I liked but also had many issues with. I will be keeping an eye out for the next book.

3 out of 5 Stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment