Saturday 12 December 2015

Alive by Scott Sigler



Choices have consequences.

When I read the blurb for this book I knew that I wanted it and it made it's way to the top of my wishlist. I am now regretting that decision. This book was not what I was expecting at all but to be fair that probably wasn't the book's fault. I was expecting a horror Saw type scenario but what I failed to see on Goodreads was the Fantasy tag under genre. I think the story was dragged out to be a lot longer than it needed to be and to be honest a lot of the middle could've been removed. I won't go into detail about what's really going on in Alive as I don't want to spoil it for anyone but the big reveal is just one great big WTF moment. The writing was not quite to my taste either and was very repetitive which didn't help

I never quite knew how I felt about Em as a leading lady. It's not that I didn't like her but at the same time I wasn't that excited about her either. The character that I did like the most was Bishop and I felt that a lot more could've been done with him. There was the beginnings of a love triangle in Alive but it was never fully explored and for the most part felt like it was just chucked in awkwardly. I personally would've loved to have seen something more happen between Em and Bishop. Bugger O'Malley he was a little too soft for my liking. I found the parts with the pigs quite hard to read but soldiered through it. There is a wide cast of character's in this story but for the most part you are able to keep track of who everyone is and what they're up to.

I don't want to be rude but this book did put me to sleep a number of times. I have been tired lately but still it shouldn't have taken me that long to get through the book. I nearly gave up on it a couple of times but kept at it because I wanted to see what the hell was going on. Well I found out and to be honest I just wasn't all that impressed. Alive is the first book in the generations trilogy but I won't be picking up the next book.


2 out of 5 Stars!





No comments:

Post a Comment