Sunday 25 October 2015

Joe Victim by Paul Cleave



It's official I just love Paul Cleave and his writing. The first book in this duology The Cleaner was my favourite book of the year and could possibly be one of my favourite books of all time. The story of me actually obtaining Joe Victim is a long one and I nearly didn't get it cos everywhere I looked it was going to cost me at least $20 and when you're on a book budget like I am $20 is a lot for just one book. I tried to convince myself that I really didn't need this book and that I didn't need to know what ended out happening with Joe but come on now who was I kidding. There was no denying it I needed this book in my life and I was so excited when it finally got here. Having finished it I can honestly say that it wasn't as good as The Cleaner but I still loved it and you know what I don't care how much Paul Cleave's books cost if I have to splurge out for them than I will definitely be doing that because it is certainly worth it.

When I say this book wasn't as good as the The Cleaner I think it was because we saw a far more vulnerable and dare I say dumber version of Joe. The thing that made you love Joe was his cleverness and his ability to outsmart everyone around him including the cops, however, in Joe Victim it was everyone else that was outsmarting Joe. Joe can be a very complex character but we didn't see that so much in Joe Victim. Melissa definitely stole the show in this book. I would've loved to have seen a little more of her and her backstory but I did enjoy what we got. The whole time that I was reading this I was imagining Melissa and Joe as Harley and Joker from the Batman franchise. I really don't know why it was just what kept on popping up in my head. I can't say I really liked the Carl Schroder parts but I did enjoy the Raphael parts. The ending was just amazing and I would've loved a few more chapters after the bloody wedding to really end it well.

It's always weird when you find yourself attached to two characters who are just such terrible people. Melissa and Joe are definitely both characters that stay in your mind even when you aren't reading the book. That is part of the reason why I desperately had to pick up this book because Joe was one of those character's that I just couldn't stop thinking about, This is definitely not my last Paul Cleave book it is only the beginning and I can't wait to see what my next Paul Cleave book is like and what crazy new characters it will bring.

4 out of 5 Stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment