Saturday 4 July 2015

Taking Liberty by Keigh Houghton



Desperation is a logic suppressant. It makes us stupid. And stupidity makes us act impulsively.

This is the final book in the trilogy so I was expecting big things and couldn't help but feel just a tiny bit disappointed. To me this was the weaker and more frustrating book of the 3. There was just too many things happening that were far too unbelievable. Sometimes you have to sacrifice certain characters or make things more realistic in order to progress more nicely. It's hard because I want to keep this spoiler free but it's also hard to explain how I feel about it without giving away spoilers.

From the start I was confused. I felt like there was some chapters missing either from the start of this book or from the end of the previous one. It was kinda like we were thrown straight into the prison story with no explanation and then bam he is out of prison again like nothing happened. Gabe still hasn't learned from his past and still goes rushing into situations no matter the consequences. He frustrates the living crap out of me and yet he still keeps me glued to the pages wanting to know what's going to happen next. With The Maestro taken care of Gabe can focus on The Undertaker and Snakeskin and it isn't long before both of these character's are bought in to the story.

The third book saw an onslaught of new characters and I did get confused a few times over who was who. I loved the return of Mason Stone but didn't feel like we saw enough of him. There was also the return of Tim but again we didn't really get to see enough of him. I did enjoy the little bit of romance that was thrown into this one, it was nice to see that Gabe does have a somewhat softer side. I did enjoy the book but I think this series is definitely finished. I would love to see Keith Houghton write a book entirely from a killer's point of view. I will be keeping an eye out to see if Keith Houghton releases anything further.

3 out of 5 stars!



No comments:

Post a Comment